If you love camping and love breakfast, then you won’t want to miss this. The combination of a runny egg, cheese, sausage, and a to-die-for homemade black pepper biscuit mix makes this breakfast treat worth waking up for. Throw in a cup of campfire coffee and it’s the perfect start to a fun day.
Yield: 12 biscuits
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons dry milk powder
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup water
- 12 sausage patties
- 12 eggs
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, dry milk powder, black pepper and canola oil until well incorporated. (See notes for storage information).
- To mix the biscuits, pour dry mix into medium sized bowl and add 1/2 cup of water.
- Slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup of water 1 Tablespoon at a time until the biscuit mix is thick batter.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Set cast iron pan over medium heat and add oil to coat.
- Scoop biscuit mix by the scant 1/4 cup onto pan (you will need to work in small batches).
- Allow to cook until first side is golden brown and flip once.
- Cook until biscuits are fluffy and cooked through.
- Add sausage to a cold cast iron skillet and then set it over medium high heat.
- Cook until sausages are golden brown and cooked through, flipping once.
- Remove and set aside.
- Cook eggs in cast iron skillet until desired doneness.
Split biscuits in half and top with sausage and egg. Add ketchup or hot sauce if desired and place other half of biscuit on top.
This recipe can be cut in half. Simply prepare only half of the biscuit mix to make 6 biscuits and reduce sausage patties and eggs accordingly. Leftover dry biscuit mix can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.