By tailgating, we mean a tailgate party not the practice of driving too close to the vehicle in front of you! A tailgate party is a social event held on around the open tailgate of a vehicle. Tailgating originated in the United States and usually occurs in parking lots at stadiums and arenas before and after sporting events and concerts. People who attend such a party are said to be “tailgating” and many participate even though their vehicles do not happen to have tailgates. Part of the tailgating fun includes the food and beverage shared among the party-goers. Here are a few of our favorite recipes for you to try at your next tailgate party.
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
An American favorite, this classic will have your mouth-watering. Serves 4.
- Add 1 tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil to a skillet.
- Add 2 thinly sliced yellow-skinned onions.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper or a steak seasoning blend
- Cook approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft with a nice caramel color.
- Lightly coat a griddle with 1 tbsp. of the olive oil.
- Cook/sear 2 thinly sliced pieces of sirloin or beef tenderloin for about 2 minutes on each side.
Cook until brown but not crispy.
- When browned, sprinkle with a dash of garlic salt and pepper.
- When all meat pieces are cooked, line up the split rolls.
- Place 2 slices of provolone cheese on each slice.
- Take a 1/4 portion each of the onion and meat mixture, place on a griddle and mix.
- Put mixture on a roll. Place the top roll letting the heat melt the cheese into the meat. Repeat for each sandwich.
Create a taco buffet with the help of a pre-packaged box of taco shells and taco seasoning. Serves 6
- Break 1+ lbs. of meat into pieces and cook over medium to high heat for about 5 to 7 minutes or until thoroughly cooked. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
- Drain. Stir in 2/3 cups of water and taco seasoning. Heat to boiling. Reduce and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes uncovered. Stir frequently until mixture thickens.
- Heat taco shells. (Wrap in foil and place on top rack of grill)
- Spoon meat mixture into shells.
- In separate containers/dishes have shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, onions and green peppers, sliced black olives, shredded cheese, sour cream (keep cool) and hot sauce.
This is a quick over-the-coals recipe. Ingredients: 1/2 lb. chopped bologna, 1 cup of grated American cheese, 1/3 cup of pickle relish, 6 chopped olives, 3 tbsp. mayonnaise, butter and 6 buns.
- Butter the buns, inside and out.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Place mixture inside each bun.
- Wrap buns individually in aluminum foil.
- Place on hot coals for approximately 5 minutes on each side.
- Open carefully and serve.
What are your favorite tailgate foods? We’d love to hear from you!
Whether you’re setting up a tailgating party for weekend gaming action or planning a trip out of town, Coach-Net is there in case of roadside emergencies.